Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Rainy Season - This is Africa

After a long season of drought the rain is gloriously welcomed.  They have several crops here that depend heavily on mighty rains.  The maize (their staple food), potatoes, cabbages and so much more need the pour.  In the time that I have been here we have had several rains and many thunder storms.  It is the muddiest Zim I have ever seen.  It is the most drenched, saturated, well-watered Africa I have ever encountered.

I could easily describe my time here the same.  I have never been muddier.  Deep into the dirty parts of their backgrounds.  Some of these were dumped in the bush (the wild) as babies.  Some of these were horrifically exploited by the ones they should have been loved by.  Histories of sexual abuse, bugs eating heads, sicknesses driven to the brink of death.  The stories here are so troubled.  And I have entered deep into the mud with them.  I have wiped some tears.  I have cupped faces in my hands and raised their eyes up to mine so that they can see I love them so much and there is no reason to fear that a background could come between us.  My background....after all....

I have never been so saturated in love.  These kids have been miraculously (not an exaggeration) transformed into victors and champions.  They no longer feel like the "least of these".  They are sons and daughters of the Most High God and there is nothing "least" about that.

I have never been so poured into.  This one can't be explained.  You had to be there; here.  If ever the "streams of living water" have flowed within me; it is now.  NOW.  Very NOW and forevermore.

Two days ago my son (yes I believe this) Boaz came and whispered to me, "did you manage to do your wash?".  I looked at him, "No not yet" with eyes that signaled I might be lost.  His response, "come i will help you".  I proceeded to grab just a few articles of clothing.  I needed a clean dress for church and something clean to wear for today, and clean travel clothes for tomorrow.  He took me outside where they do all of their washing by hand and he showed me his method.  He washed more than half of what I gathered while I struggled with 3 or 4 pieces.  After about 5 steps in all to get everything washed and rinsed, I was finally trying to wring out the excess to hang up my clothing to dry on the line.  No matter how many times I twisted and squeezed, droplets of water continued to drip out and splash onto the stone walkway; perpetually drenched.

Lord may we all be perpetually drenched in your Living Waters.

"Indeed the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."







I am here to testify again and again, the rainy season is essential to life.  Dont' be afraid of the mud.

The rainy season....this is Africa.

1 comment: